March was a very wet lion
Though the phrase is “In like a lion, out like a lamb,” there was nothing docile about the month of March’s exit, as significant rainfall broke records in the Colville Valley. As of Saturday, March 31, the area had received 4.25 inches of rain for the month of March, exceeding the old record of 3.55 inches in 1987. “It’s a weather occurrence of note, but it is that time of year,” says Meteorologist John Livingston of the National Weather Service Office in Spokane. “We had a dry winter for the 2011-2012 season and it looks like the wet weather is just starting to kick in.” The total accumulation of precipitation for March (including rainfall, frost, dew, fog, etc.) was measured at approximately five inches, adds Livingston. More rainfall In keeping with the advancing spring season, temperatures are expected to climb during April into the upper 60s, though rain will be a prevalent feature throughout the month. Livingston says that one notable advantage of the recent cool, wet weather is that the Cascade Mountain snow pack was above normal at the end of March. “We were expecting a cold, wet La Nina-like winter, but that didn’t happen,” acknowledges Livingston. “So to get this extra shot of moisture, although most people are ready to see the sun, is actually a good thing for our region. It means a better run-off.” Wednesday: A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64 degrees. Light and variable wind. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Wednesday Night: Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 45 degrees. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. Thursday: Showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58 degrees. Chance of precipitation is 60 degrees. Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38 degrees. Friday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 63 degrees. Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38 degrees. Saturday: A 20 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 64 degrees. Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 38 degrees. Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 63 degrees.