Roger Knapp

Roger H. Knapp succumbed Oct. 16 at Tri-State Hospital in Clarkston from lung cancer. He was born July 22, 1930 in Spokane to parents J. Hubert and Alta E. (Keough) Knapp Sr., the third of eight children born to his parents. Shortly after his birth, the family moved to Colville, where Roger spent the remainder of his childhood years. High school years were spent attending Colville High School through 1946. In 1951 he entered the U.S. Army and served in Korea, followed by an honorable discharge. Followed by a short stint working for his father, who operated sawmills at Inchelium and Orient, Roger moved to Anchorage, Alaska and found employment with the Anchorage Police Department. He retired after 21 years with the Anchorage Police Force at the rank of corporal. While living in Anchorage, Roger experienced a life-changing encounter with Jesus Christ in 1976 and found fellowship and worship with Seventh-day Adventist Church the most fulfilling experience of expressing his new life as a Christian. To the amazement of family and friends, he devoted daily time memorizing scripture. Several months prior to his death, he confided to others he had memorized over eight hundred verses of Scripture since he became a Christian, which brought him much peace and solace. Following retirement, Roger moved to Vancouver. While living in Vancouver, he started a new post retirement occupation by purchasing an “18-wheeler” moving van and worked for Mayflower Moving Company, traversing the U.S. for many years moving Mayflower clients. Re-retiring in 1994, he moved to Clarkston. There he entered into fellowship with the Clarkston Seventh-day Adventist Church and experienced satisfying ministry opportunities within this fellowship. In this fellowship, he met and formed deep friendships with fellow parishioners. An avid golfer, he loved the Clarkston, Lewiston valley because he could play nearly the entire year because of the mild winters. The “bark” of Harley Davidson’s captured his interest as a young adult. Purchasing his first “Harley” in his early 20’s, he remained a devoted fan and owner of multiple “Harley’s” throughout his adult life, continuing to ride his latest burgundy colored bike up to two weeks prior to his death. Not intimidated by inclement weather, he would be seen riding in pouring rain, snow, blazing hot summer heat or chill autumn or spring weather, often with his beloved bag of golf clubs poking toward the sky behind him on the Harley. The last week of his life he embarked on a road trip to northeast Washington to visit family and friends. Unfortunately, his road trip was cut short by rapidly deteriorating breathing and he had to return to Clarkston without saying his “good-byes” to some of his lifelong friends and family members. Five days after self-admitting himself to the hospital, he died spending his last day comforted by his pastor, Neal Matson, friends Earl Ferguson, Jack Laraby, Eldon Lott, Eldon’s daughter, Kim, and his three brothers, Jasper, Dan, and Kevin. Survivors include daughter, Pamela Braun, and husband, Steve, Spokane; step-children, Mike Smyth and wife, Larry Smyth; foster son, Paul Jewell; four grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; sister Barda Bedingfield, Colville; brothers Jasper H. Knapp, Spangle; Daniel D. Knapp Sr., Ione; and Kevin K.K. Knapp, Colville, and numerous nephews and nieces. He was preceded in death by his parents, two sisters and step-daughter, Kristie Smyth. Funeral service was held Oct. 27 at the Clarkston Seventh-day Adventist. Public graveside service and internment was held at the Evergreen Cemetery in Colville on Oct. 28.